Thursday, November 15, 2012

Digital Culture and Civic Engagement


Last week prompted by the election, I had the chance to think more about digital ethics and how our digital culture is making it easier and easier to become involved within politics and our governments. My first thoughts on this were on all my friends who at the time were sharing their political views and opinions through social media without even having to leave home. While this was often a little too overt for my tastes, I appreciate how my friends typified how our generation is getting involved to try to create the change they feel is necessary in the world. But even more than just sharing on Facebook or Twitter, I’ve come to see that the internet is a powerful tool for true engagement in civic processes whether it’s on a local, national or international level.
This summer I spent time at the United Nations in Geneva advocating for social change for women’s and family rights. While it was obviously very effective to be able to communicate in person with NGOs and member states, I was surprised at the prevalence and importance of social media. Countries, and the UN itself, are making an effort to be online tweeting and posting Facebook updates. No longer do you have to be in Geneva to follow what’s being said in the Human Rights Council or at the General Assembly in New York (check out footage here! ). As the sessions are live, anyone anywhere can be actively following issues that are important to them.
Yes this does take time and effort, but I firmly believe that we need to be following issues that are important to us and our world – whether or not we see them directly affecting us.
Likewise I had the chance to do less personal advocacy within the UK through emails and letters to politicians about the issue of Female Genital Mutilation. While this is a very specific issue, it was empowering to see the kind of response a simple letter or email to a Member of Parliament could generate.  Most of these MPs have information available online with their voting history, and thoughts and experience about very relevant issues, making it simple and not frightening to contact them online or through more formal letters. At first I thought that these sorts of communications wouldn’t make much of a difference, but I am now of the opinion that this is exactly the way to make our voices heard. Even if we just send a short letter or email, it is vitally important that we let our politicians know how we feel about issues that we see as important.
Yes, I think sharing our opinions through social media is a great start to civic engagement. But as digital media brings our world closer and closer together, I know that we need to use all of our resources, whether that’s a webcast, twitter or email, to make our voice heard and start changing the world around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment